Tuesday, 3 February 2009

Welsh Psycho

This is probably old news now, being that it started doing the internet rounds yesterday (time moves fast on the old web) but I thought it was hillarious. It is an audio clip recorded on the set of Terminator Salvation capturing Christian Bale going mental at the director of photography for walking into a shot:



Most people think Bale needs anger-management or something (especially after the little “beating up his Mum and sister” incident last year) but it sounds to me like he was just giving the DP the telling off he deserves. I know from personal experience how annoying it can be to be filming and then someone looks at the camera or whatever, and that is just for a 5-minute film to show my University class, let alone a $200 million movie with a huge crew and a deadline to meet.

To me, the real story here is the fact that director McG stood by and did nothing like a coward while his star demeaned his director of photography (who is probably second only to the director on set) in front of the entire cast and crew. Talk about unprofessional.

I imagine the whole situation was magnified by the fact that they were shooting a Terminator film, so Bale had probably got himself into an intense, aggressive mind-set which unfortunately carried over when the cameras stopped rolling. But it’s hardly Zach Braff on Punk'd when he ruined his loveably affable Scrubs character by suddenly going mental at some kids - we all know what Bale is like, and if anything this just makes me like him more. Now when I watch American Psycho and Batman and The Prestige and The Machinist and see him being an intense, murdering psycho, I know it isn't an act.

No comments:

Post a Comment